Helping Farm Workers at Produce Farms Understand COVID-19
The NC State University Produce Safety Team has created training videos in English and Spanish to help farmworkers better understand what COVID-19 is, how it spreads, its symptoms, and an overview of practices that should help minimize the spread of the virus on produce farms. The videos are approximately 15 minutes in length.
Two official guidance documents have been published by the CDC and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for COVID-19 control within the food industry.
- Agriculture Workers and Employers, Interim Guidance from CDC and the U.S. Department of Labor
- Employee Health and Food Safety Checklist for Human and Animal Food Operations During the COVID-19 Pandemic
These videos can be used to provide educational training for farmworkers in English and Spanish that are addressed within the above guidance documents.
We recommend that all supervisors and crew leaders watch the videos ahead of their employees. They need to take time to discuss the practices outlined and how the farm plans to implement these practices. Before conducting employee training, they should have a consensus regarding the use of personal protective equipment, social distancing, and any other strategies the farm plans to use. The supervisors need to communicate their expectations and practices clearly to employees after they have watched the video. The content of these videos is based on best practices published by the Centers for Disease Control, Food and Drug Administration, Produce Marketing Association, and our food safety team.
A list of action items intended for supervisors and managers based on the practices outlined in the videos can be accessed on our website.
N.C. Cooperative Extension Centers in North Carolina are distributing personal protective equipment and other supplies to help protect employees at no or very little cost to farms. Contact your local County Extension Center for more information.
Recommendations for Minimizing the Spread of COVID-19 on Produce Farms
- Recommendations for COVID-19 Control
- Frequency handwashing list
- Frequency of glove use
Previniendo el contagio del COVID-19 en fincas de frutas y vegetales
Pósters con Información Cubierta en el Video
- Prácticas para combatir el COVID-19
- Sintomas del COVID-19
- Frecuencia de lavado de manos
- Frecuencia de cambio de guantes
- Registro para limpiadores y desinfectantes
- Reglas a seguir durante la cosecha y empaque de frutas y vegetales
- Aviso para visitantes a la finca durante la pandemia
Funding for this project was provided by the GoldenLeaf Foundation and N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.